Applications close on Friday 20 April 2018
This is the fifth cancer research Fellowship named in memory of Sir Edward "Weary" Dunlop AC, CMG OBE, to mark his contribution to Australia and, in particular, to the work of Cancer Council Victoria.
The Fellowship is intended to identify and further develop the career of a cancer researcher with the intellectual and personal qualities to ultimately take a national/international leadership role in cancer research.
The Fellowship provides funding for up to five years, commencing in mid-2018, or as soon as possible thereafter, for a candidate located at a Victorian Hospital, University or Medical Research Institute.
Who can apply for the Fellowship?
Applications are welcome from candidates in all fields of cancer research, in laboratory, clinical and other relevant settings. Applicants must be mid-career researchers who are at least 2 and less than 10 years from the date that their PhD thesis (or equivalent qualification) was passed. Applicants should be committed to pursuing a leadership role in cancer research. Senior, established investigators will not be considered.
Applicants must be Australian citizens, or be graduates from overseas with permanent Australian resident status. Applicants need to have the explicit support of an appropriate host Victorian research institution for both their candidacy and their proposed research program. It is also essential that the candidate will have arranged for a mentor, under whose guidance the proposed research program will be conducted. The mentor will need to be a senior figure in cancer research.
Applicants should submit a five year budget proposal to a maximum of $1.55 million, including personal salary and salary on-costs, direct research costs, cost of accessing research infrastructure, travel etc. As a guide, proposed salary would be in the range provided by ARC Future Fellowships.
How will the successful applicant be selected?
Applications will be assessed against the following selection criteria:
- research experience and achievements to date
- academic, research and publications record relative to opportunity
- potential to assume a leadership position in cancer research
- personal attributes including motivation, presentation and communication skills
The research proposal:
- the quality of the proposal, its relevance to cancer, and the potential impact of the research on cancer control
- the level and quality of support offered by the host institution
- the proposed arrangements for mentorship
The impact of the Fellowship:
- on the applicant’s career and capacity to achieve
- on cancer research in Victoria
All applications will be assessed by an expert panel. Short-listed applicants will be required to attend an interview. Cancer Council Victoria reserves the right not to award the Fellowship.
Submitting an application
All applicants and RAOs should familiarise themselves with the:
Applications are requested in the following format:
- A covering letter addressing the selection criteria and providing contact details of three appropriate referees
- A research plan of no more than six pages including references
- Budget details
- Your CV
Please submit your application as a single pdf document to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please name your document using your surname and initial (example: Dunlop_surname_initial.pdf).
For queries, please contact Cathy Schapper on 03 9514 6318.
Applications close on Friday 20 April 2018.