Cancer and its treatments can affect your everyday life and relationships. It can bring up a lot of emotions for everyone affected - patient, carers, family and friends.
Our cancer nurses can discuss your needs and refer you to the right care depending on your circumstances. We can offer free, short-term phone counselling to help you and those closest to you work through any cancer related concerns.
Our counselling services include:
- Our Nurse Counselling Service, staffed by experienced cancer nurses who have completed further education to become Registered Counsellors.
- Psychology service - In partnership with Cancer Council Queensland we can connect people with registered and specialised psychologists, all with training and experience in helping people affected by cancer. Eligibility criteria applies.
Counselling services are provided via telephone at a time that is convenient to you.
We can assist with a range of concerns including:
- Adjusting to life with cancer
- Stress and difficulty coping
- Sleep difficulties
- Treatment side-effects
- Uncertainty about the future
- Cancer-related depression and anxiety
- Family or relationship problems
- Sexual problems
- Fear of recurrence
- Therapy related to end of life
- Bereavement support
Access this service
Call Cancer Council 13 11 20 to speak to one of the team who can assess your needs and eligibility* and refer you to the counselling service that best suits your situation. You can call between 9am and 5pm Monday to Friday (excluding public holidays). Counselling appointments are available Monday to Friday during business hours.