Formerly Victorian Cancer Clinicians Communication Program
Due to COVID-19 all programs are postponed until further notice.
Resources for facilitators
This program delivers best practice communication skills education to health professionals, non-clinical staff and volunteers. Effective communication fosters patient autonomy within health services and enables supportive relationships with cancer patients and their families.
“Being able to understand what really matters to people and to tailor care is essential for good health outcomes”
Associate Professor Charlie Corke
Senior Intensive Care Specialist and the originator of the MyValues approach to advance care planning.
Through experiential learning with a simulated patient, participants explore and receive feedback on personal communication challenges in a safe environment.
Courses provide the opportunity to:
- Reflect on personal communication skills and their impact on communication.
- Apply the evidence-based framework for conducting conversations and key communication skills, to real-world patient scenarios.
- Demonstrate awareness of and build capacity to manage differing perceptions and expectations of patients, their families and carers.
What we offer
The courses are delivered at Cancer Council Victoria and within Victorian health organisations by trained health professional facilitators with experience in cancer care.
- Responding to emotions in cancer
- Responding to emotions in paediatric cancer
- Discussing sad and difficult news
- Discussing palliative care
- Discussing sexuality
- End of life conversations e-module
- Listen & refer
- Cancer Information Resource Volunteer Education CIRVE (volunteers)
Contact us at email@example.com to find out when our next courses are on.
Other communcation events available
Sharpen your clinical consultation skills with expert facilitators at the three day Advanced Communication Skills Retreat in 2021.
Can't find the right course?
The Effective Cancer Communications team can tailor courses for organisational needs. To find out more contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Video: Discussing cancer is a difficult task radiation therapists face daily. Actors from
Cancer Council help students at RMIT practice how to handle these cases.