Thank you for your support in spreading the word about self-collection for cervical screening. Self-collection is set to be a game-changer in increasing participation in cervical screening, particularly amongst our most under-screened communities.
This communications kit has been designed for organisations and supporters to share self-collection messages with their networks via social media, newsletters and other communications.
What you’ll find on this page:
- What is self-collection?
- What can you do to support?
- Newsletter/website copy
- Social media copy and assets (English and Punjabi)
- More information and useful links
What is self-collection?
On 1 July 2022, the National Cervical Screening Program (NCSP) was expanded to include self-collection as a cervical screening option for all women and people with a cervix aged 25-74, who are eligible for cervical screening.
For Cervical Screening Tests, there are now two options available:
- collecting your own vaginal sample (self-collection) using a swab, or
- having a healthcare provider collect the sample (clinician collected) using a speculum and small brush.
Self-collection requires gently putting a swab in the vagina and rotating the swab 2-3 times for about 10 seconds. The swab will collect a sample of cells from the vagina, which will be tested to see if HPV is present.
A self-collected test is done privately at the doctor’s or other health setting, usually behind a screen or in the bathroom. It needs to be done under the guidance of a doctor or nurse, usually in a health care setting.
Self-collection is just as reliable at detecting HPV as a Cervical Screening Test taken by a doctor or specially trained nurse.
What can you do to support?
Self-collection may be the key to increasing participation in cervical screening, particularly within under screened communities, however many people are still unaware of self-collection as an option for cervical screening.
You can help us to spread the word about self-collection and ensure all women and people with a cervix know their options by sharing the message with your networks.
We have prepared some content below for your social media platforms, newsletters and website. You can copy and paste this content into your communications, and we encourage you to share it as widely as possible.
Newsletter and website copy
Self-collection now available for cervical screening
All women and people with a cervix aged 25-74 can now choose to self-collect for their next Cervical Screening Test.
Self-collection allows you to collect your own vaginal sample using a swab. The test is done in private at the doctor’s or other health setting, usually behind a screen or in the bathroom. It’s quick, easy, private and just as reliable as a sample collected by your doctor or specially trained nurse.
If you are due, or overdue for a Cervical Screening Test, ask your doctor about your options, including self-collection. For more information, visit cancervic.org.au/selfcollection.
Social media posts
The following sample social media posts and tile can be used to share self-collection information with your networks. Please follow us and tag us @CancerVic so that we can share your support.
- Anyone who is eligible for cervical screening can now choose to self-collect at their next Cervical Screening Test! Self-collection is quick, easy, private and just as reliable as a sample collected by your doctor or specially trained nurse. Find out more: bit.ly/cancervic-self-collection
- Are you due for a Cervical Screening Test? You can now choose to self-collect your own cervical screening sample using a swab. Self-collection is quick, easy and done in private at the doctor's or another health setting. Find out more: bit.ly/cancervic-self-collection
- Self-collection is now available for anyone who is eligible for cervical screening! At your next Cervical Screening Test, you will have two options and can choose what’s best for you. Both options look for HPV, which causes over 90% of all cervical cancers and are equally as reliable. Find out more about self-collection: bit.ly/cancervic-self-collection
Social media tiles
We’ve also created translated versions and website copy you can use for Punjabi-speaking audiences.
Punjabi sample copy
Copy and paste these cervical screening messages:
- ਬੱਚੇਦਾਨੀ ਦੀ ਜਾਂਚ (ਸਰਵਾਇਕਲ ਸਕ੍ਰੀਨਿੰਗ) ਕਰਾਉਣਾ ਤੁਹਾਡੇ ਅਤੇ ਤੁਹਾਡੇ ਪਰਿਵਾਰ ਲਈ ਸਿਹਤਮੰਦ ਰਹਿਣ ਦਾ ਇੱਕ ਚੰਗਾ ਤਰੀਕਾ ਹੈ (Cervical screening is a great way to stay healthy for you and your family)
- ਹਰ ਕੋਈ ਜੋ ਸਰਵਾਈਕਲ ਸਕ੍ਰੀਨਿੰਗ ਟੈਸਟ ਲਈ ਯੋਗ ਹੈ, ਉਸ ਲਈ ਹੁਣ ਆਪ ਨਮੂਨਾ ਲੈਣ ਦਾ ਵਿਕਲਪ ਉਪਲਬਧ ਹੈ (Self-collection is now available to everyone who is eligible for a Cervical Screening Test)
- ਆਪ ਨਮੂਨਾ ਲੈਣਾ ਨਿੱਜੀ, ਸੁਰੱਖਿਅਤ ਅਤੇ ਡਾਕਟਰ ਜਾਂ ਨਰਸ ਦੁਆਰਾ ਲਏ ਨਮੂਨੇ ਵਾਂਗ ਹੀ ਪ੍ਰਭਾਵਸ਼ਾਲੀ ਹੈ। (Self-collection is private, safe and just as reliable as a sample taken by a doctor or nurse)
- ਕਿਰਪਾ ਕਰਕੇ ਆਪਣਾ ਟੈਸਟ ਬੁੱਕ ਕਰੋ (Book your test)
Share our in-language website with information about cervical screening and how to book a test: www.cancervic.org.au/preventing-cancer/attend-screening/cervical-screening/look-after-your-health-with-cervical-screening/punjabi
Punjabi social media tiles
Useful links and resources