Financial assistance

We can help some people and families affected by cancer with the cost of some emergency and living expenses – see our financial help page.

If you have money problems related to your cancer diagnosis or treatment, a good first point of contact is your hospital social worker. The agencies below might also be of use.

Anglicare Victoria
Provides emergency food and material aid.

Advises on government disability, sickness and carers' payments.

Good Shepherd Youth and Family Service
Provides emergency accommodation and other services.

Red Kite
Formerly known as the Malcolm Sargent Cancer Fund For Children. Provides emergency and practical financial support to families where a child is being treated for cancer.

Salvation Army
Provides emergency financial assistance, clothing, house furnishings and shelter.

Victorian Patient Transport Assistance Scheme
The Victorian Patient Transport Assistance Scheme (VPTAS) is run through the Department of Human Services in Geelong. You must travel more than 100km (each way) for medical treatment, or 500km a week for over 5 weeks to be eligible.



Questions about cancer?


Information and
support call

13 11 20 13 11 20


Information in your
own language call

13 14 50 13 14 50


Email a
cancer nurse