Genuine Cancer Council fundraisers
Can be identified by:
- A badge including his or her name, our logo, expiry date and statement that this person is an unpaid volunteer
- A letter of authority including name, our logo, expiry date, Cancer Council authority signature and a confirmation of their location or type of fundraising activity
If you're not sure whether someone is a Cancer Council fundraiser, contact our Supporters Hotline on 1300 65 65 85. We have a record of all registered fundraisers.
Reporting suspicious fundraising activity
Charity fundraisers should always carry proper identification – don't respond to anyone suspicious.
If someone tries to fraudulently raise funds by pretending to be collecting for a charity, they can be reported to Consumer Affairs Victoria (1300 55 81 81) or the local police. When reporting someone you may be asked:
- What was the fundraising activity?
- What did the fundraiser look like?
- Where was the fundraiser operating?
- When did you see the fundraiser?
- Is this the only time you've seen the fundraiser?
- What made you suspicious?
- Did the fundraiser have any identification?
You may also be asked to supply your contact details for follow-up questions. For more information on fundraising call our Supporters Hotline on 1300 65 65 85.