- Gain research experience in a positive and supportive team
- Help make a difference in a respected not-for-profit organisation
- 1-2 day per week, 6-12-month volunteer opportunity – St Kilda Road, Melbourne
About your environment
Cancer Council Victoria has been leading efforts against cancer since 1936 through world leading research, prevention, support and advocacy programs.
The Heritage Project is responsible for documenting Cancer Council Victoria’s extensive history and organising its archive for use in current cancer control campaigns. It therefore sits in the Prevention Team, which is responsible for running Cancer Council Victoria’s many cancer control campaigns, most famously SunSmart and QUIT.
About your opportunity
We are seeking two Volunteer Research Assistants to join the Heritage Project. Reporting to the Archivist, your role is to:
- Search and read hardcopy archival boxes and write brief characterisations of their contents.
- Create digital versions of hardcopy materials and organise them in Endnote and elsewhere online.
- Help the Archivist build a finding aid to make the archive searchable.
- Help the Archivist identify historically significant materials for use in Cancer Council Victoria’s current projects.
- Complete supportive administrative tasks as required by the Archivist.
All about you
We are looking for someone with:
- Progress towards an undergraduate degree in history, sociology, public health, or related field highly desirable
- Experience with Endnote
- Experience with Microsoft Office, including Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Excellent writing skills
- Excellent qualitative/document analysis abilities.
- A demonstrated interest in public history and/or working in the not-for-profit sector.
What we can offer you and time commitment
Training and ongoing support will be provided. We also offer a flexible and friendly work environment, social and wellbeing activities, and a central location close to public transport. Free car parking and daily lunch is also available for volunteers.
This volunteering opportunity requires your commitment ideally 1 to 2 days per week, between the hours of 9:00am and 5:00pm for a 12-month period. Agreed days and hours are negotiable.
To apply and for more info
Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander Peoples are encouraged to apply.
Culturally and linguistically diverse applicants are encouraged to apply.
To apply for this opportunity download a Position Description forward your full application (cover letter and resume) to email@example.com. For more information contact Dr Thomas Kehoe on (03) 9514 6527.
All offers of volunteer engagement will be made subject to satisfactory completion of employment checks including evidence of right to volunteer in Australia and a National Police Check
Applications close Sunday 23 February 2020