Planning your Will


Planning your Will

If you choose to include a gift to Cancer Council in your Will, we recommend that you do so after first making provision for family and loved ones.

A Will is an important legal document that allows your wishes to be carried out. It therefore needs to be drafted correctly. For this reason, we advise you to consult a solicitor and think about the following in advance:

  1. Your assets

    What do you own?

  2. Your beneficiaries

    Who will benefit from your assets and in what proportion?

  3. Your executor(s)

    Who would you like to administer your estate and ensure your wishes are carried out?

Our Will planner can help you prepare for your appointment with a solicitor.

Importance of a Will

Having a Will is the only way you can be sure your affairs will be managed as you would prefer. Irrespective of wealth, it is advisable to have a Will and to review it every few years to make sure it still reflects your wishes. This is especially important if your personal circumstances change e.g. if you marry, divorce, have children, buy property, or if an intended beneficiary or executor dies.

Types of gift

There are different ways to include Cancer Council in your Will. Your solicitor will advise the best way for you. The following are the most common:

Residuary gift

After making provision for family and loved ones, you can choose to leave all, or part, of the remainder (‘residue’) of your estate to Cancer Council.

Percentage gift

You can leave a nominated percentage (1–100%) of your entire estate.

A set amount

You can leave a specific sum of money.

A specific item

You can leave specific items of value such as shares or real estate.

Wherever possible, we ask you to consider a residuary or percentage gift. These are less affected by inflation and so maintain their proportional value better over time.

Amending your Will

If you already have a Will, but would like to update it to include a gift to Cancer Council, this can usually be done quickly and simply by means of a supplementary page known as a codicil. Again, we recommend seeking advice from a solicitor to make sure it is done correctly.