Advance Care Planning for the Perioperative Clinician
Peter MacCallum and the University of Melbourne are holding a workshop on "Advance Care Planning for the Perioperative Clinician". This is at the Victorian Comprehensive Cancer Centre on Friday November 11. The workshop will provide an overview of the state of Advance Care Planning in Victoria, the medicolegal ramifications and a new communications model to approach ACP discussions in the perioperative setting. The intended audience is any clinician - including anaesthetists, surgeons, intensivists, perioperative/ICU nurses, social workers etc. that work closely with patients in the perioperative period. Register here.
Teaching Communication in Healthcare Conference and Education Program
Registrations are now open for the inaugural Teaching Communication in Healthcare Conference and Education Program, 6-9 December 2016 in Melbourne. The event will explore best practice for communicating with patients, implementing communication recommendations in the Optimal Care Pathways and developing communication skills teaching. Register here.
Advanced Communication Skills Training Workshop for Doctors - 2nd December 2016
The Victorian Communication Skills Training Group's one-day Advanced Communication Skills Training workshop is run by doctors for doctors to give you an opportunity to practise and perfect your communication skills. Learn through observation, rehearsal and feedback in a supportive small group environment, with actors playing the roles of patients with complex, medical scenarios. The course fee of $990 includes:
- hands on role playing of complex real-life
- scenarios with live patients
- feedback from doctors who are trained communication skills mentors
- networking opportunities
- full catering, including breakfast, lunch and breaks
- workshop handbook.
The workshop will be led by an international communications expert and experienced facilitators:
- Dr Jonathon Silverman, Associate Clinical Dean at the School of Clinical Medicine, University of
- A/Prof Peter Martin, Barwon Health, Victoria
- A/Prof Jennifer Philip, St Vincent’s Hospital, Melbourne
- Dr Jennifer Weil, St Vincent’s Hospital, Melbourne
- Dr Jenny Hynson, The Royal Children’s Hospital, Melbourne.