Sombreros and animal costumes are tipped to be the hottest festival fashion items this year after SunSmart announced the results of its 'Win the Golden Ticket' competition today.
SunSmart joined up with Golden Plains to offer the most sun-savvy Victorian music fan two free tickets to the epic music festival that takes place on 12-14 March 2011.
Sarah Yeates, of Fitzroy North won the sought-after tickets with a suggestion to take a giant Sombrero and wear a clown suit with zinc as the face paint. She added this will not only cover you head to toe, but already has a built-in red nose so you don't get tempted to get one by other means.
Sue Heward, SunSmart Manager, said: "We were delighted with the enthusiastic response from music fans of all ages across Victoria keen to share their top tips on how to be SunSmart at Golden Plains this year."
"We received hundreds of entries with the youngest entrant just 11 years old and the oldest being 68, with everyone hoping for a chance to win tickets to the legendary festival."
On behalf of the judges, Ms Heward said, "It was a pleasure to look through the many innovative and creative entries. I would like to personally thank everyone who entered and congratulate Sarah on her winning tip."
Ms Yeates said: " I'm really pleased to have won! Sun protection is so important in Australia due to the strength of the sun here and our love for the great outdoors."
"While skin cancer is a serious risk for all Australians, it is one of the most preventable cancers and with a bit of forward planning at music festivals and other outdoor events, we can all significantly reduce our risk of skin and eye damage, signs of ageing and ultimately skin cancer," Ms Heward said.
Matt High, festival director of Golden Plains, said: "We are delighted to support SunSmart as we are committed to ensuring all our patrons have a fun and safe festival experience. Sun protection is an essential part of that."
For the best of the rest, check out some more top SunSmart tips below and keep up the great work!
- Bring the Spring Racing Carnival straight onto the festival circuit with the huge funky festival hats and sombreros. Also good to hide behind when you are peaking at the cutie dancing nearby.
- Wear an all-in-one costume... elephants with sunglasses are super SunSmart and clowns with zinc red noses prevent you looking like Rudolf by other means!
- Whenever you go to the bar, the campsite or at the end of each music set, reapply sunscreen and remind your mates to do it too. It's a really easy way to avoid the "I only put sunscreen on once" burn.
- Throw a long sleeved shirt over your singlet and tie it at your waist for a cute SunSmart look.
- Share sunscreen - that way there's always a mate to help apply and it's a great way of getting to know new people!
About the competition
The 'Win the Golden Ticket' competition was launched as part of the Dark Side of Tanning campaign, which graphically shows the damaging impact of overexposure to ultraviolet (UV) radiation.
The campaign was developed by the Cancer Institute NSW and first ran in Victoria in 2009-10. The campaign featured again in Victoria from late November 2010 until February 2011.
The state-wide campaign is broadcast on television, cinema, digital and outdoor media.