One Australian is diagnosed with cancer every 5 minutes, but with the Cancer Council Victoria‘s Australia's Biggest Morning Tea coming up this May, it could take as little as 5 minutes to help save a life.
Australia's Biggest Morning Tea Coordinator Barbara Fernandez said that while many people want to help their friends and neighbours facing cancer, at times it could be difficult to know where to start.
"Hosting an Australia's Biggest Morning Tea this May is an easy way to show you care," Ms Fernandez said. "More importantly, even if you just take 5 minutes for a cuppa, the money you raise will make a tangible difference to people facing cancer in the local community," she said.
Five of the ways Australia's Biggest Morning Tea impacts lives include funding:
- The Cancer Council Helpline (13 11 20).
- Clinical trials at leading Victorian cancer centres. These clinical trials are open to residents, and take learnings from laboratory research and translate them into real treatments that save lives.
- Small assistance grants to help residents experiencing financial distress as a result of their cancer experience cover immediate needs like petrol or electricity.
- The Cancer Connect Peer Support Program, through which people facing cancer can access support from a volunteer who has been through a similar experience.
- Subsidised bowel cancer screening tests so that people have access to potentially life-saving screening tests at a reduced cost.
As well as impacting local lives, through Australia's Biggest Morning Tea, you can help people facing cancer throughout Victoria. Every dollar raised will fund life-saving cancer research, education programs to help prevent cancer and support programs for people in times of great need.
"The fantastic thing about Australia's Biggest Morning Tea is that making a difference is easy," Ms Fernandez said.
"You simply register as a host, then invite your friends or workmates around for a cuppa during May - guests donate to the Cancer Council to raise funds," she said.
This year, one lucky Australia's Biggest Morning Tea host will win a Silvia coffee machine and gourmet Grinders coffee pack kindly donated by Grinders, when they register online.
To register for the competition, or for ideas, resources, and your free host kit, visit www.biggestmorningtea.com.au or call 1300 65 65 85 today.
Subscribe to RSS feed of Cancer Council media releases